William Lester was born in Graham, Texas in 1910. He was a well known Dallas painter in the late 1930's and early 1940's and a member of a group of artists working to create a new, distinctively regional, approach to art. Lester taught at the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts from 1940 to 1942. In 1942, he joined the faculty of the University of Texas at Austin where he taught painting until he retired in 1972. He exhibited in many juried national exhibitions until 1952 when he concentrated on exhibiting almost exclusively in Texas. The Passedoit Gallery in New York City gave him three exhibitions from 1948 to 1956.